Friday, October 31, 2008

Baked With Love

I will admit it....I am a procrastinator.

At least with some things.

Recently, I have been procrastinating making brownies.

Sounds weird, yes, but the brownies were an outreach idea that was launched last week when the team was here. We decided I needed to connect with my neighbors, and what better way to do that then to give a present? This is when brownies entered the picture...

The team bought all the supplies and allowed me to do the rest.

This week I've been busy teaching Jackie's kids and preparing lesson plans, so baking three batches of brownies wasn't a priority. However, I did make attempts to work on the project. On Tuesday, I walked to a store and bought cake pans. I spent all afternoon on Wednesday baking and wraping the brownies. With each packaged, I included a note (in Spanish) that said: Hi! My name is Tasha. I am a missionary from the United States. I am new to this country and speak a little Spanish. But I want to learn more Spanish, find a church that is nearby, and meet the people who live close to me. I live in apartment E-1. I hope to meet you soon! God Bless you!"

Thursday afternoon arrived and I knew it was time to deliver the baked goods. I couldn't put off the task much longer if wanted the sweets to still be fresh. Not to mention that I didn't want to compete with Halloween because of culture reasons.

At 2pm I got came home from Jackie's and attempted to make lunch. However, within 10 minutes of being home, the power cut off. This is not uncommon; electricity outrages are the norm here, but usually my generator kicks on and still runs the lights and fans. But not even these basics were functioning. By three o'clock the temperature in my apartment was a stifling 85 degrees. It started raining and I justified waiting on the brownie delivery because it would be easier to do it when the rain stopped...and I wanted a nap.

Two hours later the electricity STILL had not come on and I found it impossible to sleep with sweat rolling down my forehead. Just after five, the rain ceased and I felt it was time. I said a quick prayer, asking for favor and courage to meet my neighbors. I was nervous because of my limited Spanish skills.

And so, just before 5:30, I stepped across the cultural threshold of my apartment and literally ran into Jose, the maintence guy. Without requesting any help, he took it upon himself to lead me door-to-door with the brownies in tow. He showed me which apartments are occupied and which ones are empty (something I never thought about). He allowed me to talk in broken Spanish but filled in the gaps when necessary. Those that were home were incredibly receptive to the gifts and although I couldn't understand everything they said, their smiles and hugs conveyed enough.

I also left several packages on the doorsteps of occupied apartments where no one was home. And last night, three families stopped by to say thank you! It was incredible!

A guy who lives next door (who speaks great English!), welcomed me into his home and introduced me to his wife and their two children. A family of three, who lives upstairs, stopped by to shake hands and say that if I need anything, just ask! And finally, the woman across the hall came over and gave me her phone number and directions to a local church. It was SUCH a God thing!!

Please pray that relationships with these people and their families would continue to be built. I want to know their names, their childen, and to be accepted into their families.

God is here, and He's opening doors!

No comments: